Tuesday, January 29, 2008

“Is it a secret?” Part 1


In a country where many things once were kept in secret, the truth can now be shared freely. As I traveled about an hour and half from my home the other day to share the Gospel with a new friend, I was amazed once again how some people have never heard how to receive the free gift of eternal life.

Irina and I started our day viewing the palace of Paul I, son of Peter the Great, walking through a park, and having tea at a café. For the entire day, I quietly thanked God for even being given the opportunity to witness. Many people were praying for this day, and the Holy Spirit was working in the life of Irina. The Holy Spirit was also speaking to my heart the whole time. Days and opportunities like these are not only for those who need to hear about Christ but are also given to us for maturing in our relationship with Him. Opportunities to witness are given so that we can share the “secret” that we have been privileged to have heard. We do not need to be ashamed of the Gospel. This secret does not need to be kept silent but needs to be shared with all.

We spoke of times when the pages of the Bible were just torn and passed out in Russia. Today the Bible can be read. I asked her what she thought about this change. She mentioned that this was now a good change, but to many it is strange for someone to just pick up the Bible and start reading it. My response was that we need not be ashamed, just read.

I know that this time to share Jesus with my friend so freely was possible because of prayer. The day was bathed in prayer. There was such an open door to speak that day. This freedom was evident even as I asked her two critical questions concerning her salvation. “If you were to die a sudden death, Irina, where would you spend eternity? If you were standing before God and He were to ask you, why should I let you come and live in Heaven with me, what would you say?” Her responses were, “I don’t know.”

I immediately responded that I am so glad that I can know and that I know the answer to these questions. “You can know where you will be after death. You can know where you will live for eternity”. Irina leaned toward me and whispered, “Leslie, is it a secret?” I almost cried, and I looked at her and said, “NO, it is no secret, and yes, I will tell you the answer!”
A great secret had been told to us. Now we must boldly tell this secret, the Gospel, to others. However, no matter where we are, or what we are doing, we must be in a state of prayer to look for these opportunities along the way.
-L.Burch, A Woman’s Path to God, path 45

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...