Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Clear my thoughts of fear, my Great Shepherd!


Psalm 23 

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Everyone walks through a valley at some point in their lives, maybe several “valley experiences”. I have ventured that way before on the mission field. But this valley experience of chronic pain seems a lot different. But as I go, I am learning new things. The message I keep hearing is: “God is teaching, strengthening and empowering you. You must allow your faith to grow stronger.”

One way that my faith grows is by not fearing evil. Fear is not of God. I will be honest; I have feared the severe “migraine-type” pain that pops up randomly. I have experienced pain before, but nothing compared to this. I have concluded that I must not dwell on the unknown but take comfort that the Lord’s rod and staff are there to comfort me.

The rod is used to fight off the wolves of danger. The wolf strikes to bite, but God fights him off with the rod for me. That includes taking my thoughts captive. When thoughts of fear fly, I compare them to the sharp teeth of a wolf aimed to attack. I trust in the Lord to clear my thoughts of fear- that violent wolf image. When I wonder off in this direction, His staff brings me back into his arms of comfort. The rod fights for me and the staff reaches out to protect me-bringing me back to Him. Thank you, my Great Shepherd!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...