Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lizzie Viola Arnette, age 93, died Feb. 20, 2010

Grandmama definitely was a person of stamina. Her age was even proof of that. She always followed through with her responsibilities and commitments. She was a quiet person yet strong and vocal where her beliefs were concerned. She was a great listener, for I know that she would sit for hours and hear my thoughts. She was a great encourager and constant companion. She daily stayed by Granddaddy’s side over the years no matter what. She was a determined person. For this reason alone, she desired to be in the presence of her children for so long. She was not a quitter; she endured to the end.

I heard that Grandmama opened her eyes on Friday for three minutes one last time. And what did she see? She saw her three daughters standing by her who loved her very much. She saw the three sisters who were always faithful. It is special that she gave each a minute a piece. That is all she needed. I think that may have been her way of saying, “Thank you for all you did, my Darlings.”

I talked with Grandmama that same morning. I remember hearing her rhythmic breathing over the cell phone as I said my last words to her. She did not respond; it was not necessary. She heard me though. I also prayed with her and asked the Lord to just let her rest and sleep and awake to see Him. I did not tell her goodbye. I could not bring myself to do it. So, in my heart I said, “Grandmama, I will see you soon.”

God does all things in His timing. It was Grandmama’s moment to see her Master face to face. I trust that she stood before the Lord that Saturday morning and heard His sweet voice say similar words like these: Welcome Home. Share in this joy—this wonderful place that I have prepared for you.

I thank the Lord for Grandmama’s testimony. We can say that Lizzie Arnette served the Lord well and was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother and friend to many. May we all trust in the Lord as she did!

In closing I found a poem that I want to share. The author is unknown.
Life is but a stopping place,
A pause in what's to be,
A resting place along the road,
to sweet eternity.
We all have different journeys,
Different paths along the way,
We all were meant to learn some things,
but never meant to stay...
Our destination is a place,
Far greater than we know.
For some the journey's quicker,
For some the journey's slow.
And when the journey finally ends,
We'll claim a great reward,
And find an everlasting peace,
Together with the Lord

-Les, 2010

1 comment:

  1. thank you, les.
    your note about your grandmother and the poem is beautiful.
    love you...
    Peace and blessing be with you.

    ReplyDelete

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...