Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Voice of Silence

Do you see what I see? Pray with me.

When I walk or travel in the metro (subway) in Russia, I often pray. I look at the many faces around me and wonder what they are thinking and wonder what they believe. We all go in silence. Even after living here for more than a decade, I am still not quite used to the quiet. People move about in their own little worlds.


I love to tell people about Jesus. Sometimes in Russia, though, the chance to share does not come as easily as it does in the States. I can think of many times back home when I walked up to a stranger in the grocery store and freely struck up a conversation about the Lord. I was home a few months ago visiting my parents. While shopping in Wal-Mart, I had the privilege of talking to a salesperson in the jewelry department about Jesus. It was so easy; she was ready to hear. In Russia the people seem more private. My neighbor even said the other day: “Leslie, you have your faith, and I have mine. It is personal, you know?”


Opportunities do arise to share; the “ground” for sowing just seems hard. It could definitely soften, because anything is possible with the Lord. If the Holy Spirit is pulling at a person’s heart strings, I just hope that I am around to tell my story. I am sitting on edge ready to jump at the chance. What do I do until that moment? I pray— the voice of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...