Monday, January 25, 2010

There's a lot of talk going on right now...

A famous childhood tune rings in my ears as I place my fingers on the keyboard this morning: “The foolish man built his house upon the sand…And the walls came tumbl’in down…The wise man built his house upon the Rock…And the wise man’s house stood firm!”

David truly was an interesting biblical character. One minute he was in the pit of despair (Psalm 22) and the next minute he was singing with the saints for joy (Psalm 30). Peter was another one who denied Christ one day (John 18) and walked on water in total trust the next (Matthew 14). Sometimes my emotions jump back and forth the same I am ashamed to say, maybe not as often as David’s. I try to keep them in check and remain firm and solid. I want my family and friends to always know what is important and of value to me; I want them to see me as stable.

I have been reading a lot lately about the predicament we seem to be facing as a Southern Baptist Convention and as an international and home missions sending organization. Should we continue to call ourselves by the same name? Should our missions organizations combine to be more cost and witness effective? I am serving in a country where religious law and freedom is wavering. Recent regulations are under discussion concerning the Baptist’s ministry outside the church building ceasing in Russia. I have seen so much change while living here and adapted. But today my heart is really burdened for not only Russia but also America. The US seems to be in a danger zone, too. Waking up every morning to check the news of America, I sometimes feel ill. It appears that our character is swaying back and forth, not only politically but religiously. At least we knew where David and Peter really stood. I thank the Lord for the churches today that are setting the example. I find myself daily looking for the positive that I do see. Maybe in a small way, I can help, also, by praying constantly and exemplifying a positive attitude and not camping out on the negative.

Some say writing is a way to relieve stress. I have found this to be true. So, as I sit in front of this blue and white screen, I type the thoughts that come to mind. When I think about the history of Southern Baptist, I read through articles that speak of our initial beliefs and views toward slavery. From there we take a shift and apologize for not being diverse and now unite together regardless of race. We have had thoughts before about changing our name. There has been a shift to conservatism, especially where our seminaries and institutions were concerned. I watched as this was happening in the late 80s and early 90s as we enrolled at Southeastern in 1993. And now we have another goal to push a conservative movement and a recall to the Great Commission overall. I am presently praying strongly for our convention and the call to lead the nations to Him and embrace the Great Commission even firmer. I am conservative to the core and stand on the Bible as inerrant, infallible and inspired. God came to save all people of all nations and culture. And Jesus is the only Way. God is love.

Over the past 12 years, I have watched our American Baptist churches take a huge shift in look and style. Once there was such a thing as a pulpit. Now the popular stage area holds a stool, chair and table. My memories and history of the church are those a little more reserved. I remember when pastors were skeptical about having the hymns appear on a PowerPoint. I serve in a country with the Baptist Union where the pulpit is a place that is somewhat thought of as holy. In the US today some church buildings look more like sports arenas. I have watched from afar how pool parties have replaced church dinner fellowships. Preachers in torn blue-jeans and earrings have replaced preachers in suits and ties. These are great topics of discussions and facts of change. Times have changed and a new generation has moved in—a new culture.

However, without being philosophical about which is right and which is wrong, I want to focus on what I think is the underlining root problem, more than what our building or institution “looks” like. We can leave that discussion for another day. At that time we can still study Matthew 7 and the context of not judging others, asking and it be given to us, entering through the narrow and wide gate and noticing a tree by the fruit it bears, being careful not to give our teaching over to dogs (hypocrites or false prophets) or casting our “pearl” before swine.

The deepest root problem is not really how we look anymore, what we call ourselves, what programs we use, the colors painted on the walls of our youth building, it is that some have strayed from our roots and foundation. Can we be like and look like we used to? No, it is impossible. I think we are concerned about our physical appearance and comfort levels, though, too much right now; we need to focus on our spiritual ones.

We need to be centered on Him and His mission. Pleasing and entertaining people or congregations have replaced feeding, shepherding and nurturing believers. Building a huge sanctuary has replaced the desire to build up the body of Christ. Increasing numbers has replaced in many cases truly finding the lost sheep and bringing them into the fold and caring for them. Bringing in popular programs, literature and secular videos that are “appealing to the eye” have replaced reading, citing and preaching God’s Word before the local body. Techniques to attract the community are seen as extreme. When in reality, radical revival and renewal is all we need.

So changing our name or combining or not combining organizations is not the biggest question. Let us just rally together, standing on the solid Rock. The rock that does not waver, that does not pacify just for comfort, that does not lie to gain popularity, that is not hypocritical or ashamed to speak Biblical principles, etc. There is no way that we are going to solve this “dilemma” if we do not remember our foundation—Christ—and build there (Matthew 7:24). It is that simple: The wise man built his house on the Rock! Our nation and politics will get back in order when we stand on the solid Rock and preach “In God We Trust”!
-The Chosen Path, L.Burch

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have said it better Leslie, focusing on The Rock of our Salvation is imperative!

    ReplyDelete

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...