Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sound of Old Russia

A common musical sound that one might hear in Russia is the accordion. Still played today by many, this instrument is a sound of old Russia as is the balalaika, a string guitar-like instrument. The other Sunday four church members sang a special with this one man band entitled:

“Красота Иисуса, светись во мне”

Пусть увидят во мне красоту Христа,
Всю Его чистоту и любовь всегда.
О Дух Божий, приди (приди),
Все во мне измени (измени),
Пусть увидят во мне красоту Христа.
-Songbook of Hymns #802, 2006

“Beauty of Jesus, Shine in me”

May all see the beauty of Christ in me,
All His purity and love always.
O Spirit of God, come,
Change everything in me,
May all see the beauty of Christ in me.



I did a rough translation for you to read as you listen (click play tab on video). It is difficult to explain in words the emotions that are triggered when I hear the sounds of old Russia. In America I guess it is kind of like hearing someone play the harmonica or strum on the ole banjo.

In His Love,
Les

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...