Tuesday, May 5, 2009

back to the basics


In the past 11 years, the world has changed drastically. The areas of the world in most need of the Gospel are not the same either. I would even say that America now is in just as much need of the Gospel as many other countries. Buck was just sharing with me that Africa and some Latin American countries have more Christians than any other part of the world. There has also been a decline in membership of our Southern Baptist Churches in America and an increase in the interest of other religions like Islam, Buddhism and so forth. We are even noticing on the mission field that there has been a huge shift in missions and international needs.

There are still small pockets of unreached peoples, but in general Russia is not a pioneer field. We are still assured that the doors of Russia were opened for this specific time in history, and I will always be grateful that I am here to serve. Though, the question still remains in my mind, one in which I feel we must constantly revisit: What parts of the world have limited access to the Gospel? I would add another question today: Where do I fit in in this equation to bring change to the world?

These have always been underlining goals, but I am more convinced than ever before that I (we) need to get back to the basics, that is, abiding in Him (John 15). Only through that can we know for sure what we are to “do” for Him on a day-to-day basis and where we are to serve. We are promised in John 15:5: “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” And again we are told in verse 4 and 11 that the branch cannot bear fruit if it does not abide in the source—the vine—of its joy; our joy which is to remain full.

I have dreams of what I want to be involved in, what I want to do and how I want to serve the Lord with my family, but no dream or act can surpass my desire to first remain in Him. This requires time. A time deemed as valuable, and a time that I ache to spend with Him. If Christians are going to “impact the world”, a phrase often used in our Baptist arena, we have to abide in Him. That constitutes more than just an initial repentance; it requires a commitment to a personal ongoing relationship-building with the Father. A great place to start is the beginning. If we are not careful, we venture to fulfill our own ideas and accomplish our own agenda, though, often achieving great things for Him; unfortunately, we have somewhat left our first love (Revelation 2: 4).

If we could give or do anything for the Lord, it would be to abide in Him. The fruit will automatically be produced, because the source distributes the nutrients needed for fostering fruit. This growth begins in me first. I came to the conclusion earlier in my meanderings that prayer was the key to make a difference. The next step was to allow the Master Artist to actually paint the strokes. Here we are honestly submitting to Him. Maybe it is the how or the means by which we can persevere, but we have to abide in Him.

If the Christians of America, Russia or any other country are going to make a stand for Him, we must return to our first love. God will assure us that we are just where He wants us and lead us to fit into the equation to bring change to the world. Otherwise, we are never going to be able to regain our position as a people that “stand up” for Christ. There is a danger when a person distances oneself from the Source. The Bible says: “If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.” (verse 6)

Abide.
-The Chosen Path, L. Burch, 2009

1 comment:

  1. This post is right on, I believe America is in need of God worse than many parts of the world. I know they will not listen, they have their own beliefs and will not listen. The good news is there are many Christians here still praying. I appreciate your blog.

    ReplyDelete

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...