Friday, May 16, 2008

Teach to Teach


As many of you know, the past few weeks our family has taught English as a Second Language classes at the local Baptist church we attend. The entire family participated in some way. I taught the beginners class, Buck led the advance class in a Bible study, Ashlyn took part in an introductory lesson, Amielle assisted in writing the notes on the board and Luke helped by passing out candy during tea times. What a joy we had serving together!

When the class began, we pushed forward to help the students learn English. I think it was a success, but there was a greater, underlining success if one realized what was actually taking place, precisely what goal was developing in the hearts of the believers. Step-by-step Buck led the advanced speakers through a simple inductive Bible study method. And, step-by-step they began to understand and to accept this new way of studying the Bible. Our prayer was for them to realize that this method could be used at home or in a small group setting. A faithful core group of 6-8 now feel prepared to not only continue with their English learning but also prepared to lead a study. We do not know exactly what God has planned for these dear ones, but they are excited about studying His Word in this manner and entertaining the thought of teaching others.

My heart was blessed as 3-4 ladies stood around me to tell me “goodbye” as we are moving from St. Pete the first of June. God turned the conversation around from just saying farewell, and we joyfully talked about how to use this method with the lost. I shared about my experiences with leading small women’s groups and my opportunities of praying with others who desired to lead groups. May our efforts of teaching others be passed on so that others will teach! May God use these precious believers to share their faith with their lost friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...