Sunday, March 23, 2008

Do you find yourself doing what you do well to relieve your grief?

I jotted down a passage that relates to this question: As soon as they landed, they saw a campfire with fish cooking and some bread. Jesus said, “Come and eat.” None of the disciples dared ask “who are you?” because they knew it was the Lord. -John 21:9, 12

Peter had just denied Christ. Therefore, Peter, possibly hoping to relieve his grief, did one of the things he knew how to do well. He fished. Yet he toiled.

We may think our ministry comes natural for us. We have great results. Generally we do our jobs well. However, there are times when we strongly struggle in our work or times when we work in vain. I have felt this way often. In this scripture reference Peter fished all night. Sometimes we try to “do” a great deal for God in the ministry. Maybe the Holy Spirit pleads for our attention, and we are just too busy to listen. He may already have prepared for us a huge catch. If Peter had been paying attention, he would have known that all the fish he needed was waiting for him.

I find myself often reverting to what comes natural. I teach. I write. These things we do are even good things, but sometimes God is calling us just to listen and see what He has for us. Unfortunately sometimes I busy myself with good works when God is calling my attention to be on Him. He is the only one that can help me with my grief. And, look he has a huge catch already prepared!

Please comment if you desire and share your thoughts with others. Just click below. Do you find yourself doing what you do well to relieve your grief?

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...