Friday, September 11, 2009

Taking up a hobby


There are some days on the mission field when feelings of loneliness really kick in. Being separated from immediate family and like friends from home makes it tough. Understand that I love Russia and the people, but at times I ache for what is familiar—my heart language, my roots, small town life or South Georgia country living. As I have shared with some of you personally, there is a drive that keeps me going. It must be the urgency to spread the Gospel, the burning fire within me to make a difference, my desire to please the Father, encouraging words from national partners, words of exhortation from prayer warriors and verbal motivating statements from my children and husband.

Though, the fact that the Lord gives me strength is what really sustains me. While living in Bryansk many years ago, I remember relying on Philippians 4:19. I depended only on the Lord for strength to survive. It was a very challenging time and my relationship with the Lord deepened from the experiences. It is through these times that the Lord can shape us and make us stronger vessels to be used for His service. It seems extremely difficult, though, while we are going through times of loneliness, trials, sickness, scrutiny, etc. However, we have a Father that gives us all we need. Later I realized that God was using these experiences to prepare me for the future. I can now identify better with the people I serve and understand more in their heart language. Most importantly I overcame these feelings by relating to the Father even more.

At times even in Moscow many years later, the emotion of loneliness tries to overtake me. I try to pinpoint if it is a certain time of the year that this happens. It could be when the cold weather hits or first signs of the coming season show. I know the long, “hard” days of winter are approaching. So, I revisit these previous chapters from my life that seem to repeat themselves. And recently I discovered something new that may even help with the situation, also. Taking up a hobby may be a good idea.

It has been ages since I have picked up the paint brush. I am reading about how to draw and paint, and a friend who is a professional artist has been giving me some tips. When we moved to the center of the city, Buck and the kids noticed an artist store right below us with a coffee cafe. And, my family urged me to pick out supplies and get started. Setting aside time to go into my own little world of creating a masterpiece, I figured it might help me overcome those negative feelings that stir.

I just finished the second oil painting and am studying on blending colors and ways to allow the brushstroke to enhance the picture. I can tell already that it has been good for me. This seems to help and is actually healthy for relieving stress, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...