Friday, June 13, 2008

“run the race”



As I often jog for exercise, I recall this short devotion.

Read Hebrews 12
Key Passage:
…let’s run the race ahead- Hebrew 12:1b

Everything that we do, we should do it well. Give it our best. Before getting to the halfway point in the 5k that I marked out for my regular run, I sometimes think that I just cannot go any further. Then I pass the mark, take a few deep breaths, control my breathing, slow the pace down a little, and focus on the last leg of the course. I continually have to remind myself that the race is not something for me to fret over but enjoy and live as I take each leap. Sometimes our course has difficult points that we really must focus on in order to maintain our pace and other times we have moments for enjoying the scenery when the adrenaline “kicks in”.

Our ministry “stretch” where we serve is often the same. After living on the field for a number of years, I have learned to enjoy each leap in the course set before me. When I realize that each situation, each day, and each moment is given by God, I can put in perspective the awesome race that I have been given the opportunity to endure.

Application:
Exercise to keep your stress level at a minimum, to physically feel great, to cognitively function sharper, to psychologically control emotions better, and to spiritually be disciplined. Run your race with joy, enthusiasm, and just LIVE as you endure the goal set before you!

Walk Farther:
1. Find time this week to walk, jog or run. As you are going, think about what it means to run the race in your spiritual life.
2. How is your spiritual journey like a race?
3. What is the prize for winning this race?

-A Winter’s Path, #21, L. Burch

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Let my people go."

  “Let my people go!” I am currently enrolled in a course entitled Schools and Inequalities. My focus changed from my work with adults ...